June 8, National Get Outdoors Day
The Cradle of Forestry celebrates National Get Outdoors Day, established in 2008 by the USDA Forest Service to encourage Americans, especially youth, to seek out healthy, active outdoor lifestyles, connect with nature, and embrace public lands. The day includes skill teaching and demonstrations by the area’s outdoor recreation community, and guided nature walks along the Cradle’s Forest Discovery Trail. Admission to the site is free on this national event day. The event is sponsored by:
Activities will include:
- See if you can hit the bulls-eye and try your hand at archery with the NC Bowhunters Association.
-Guided nature walk to the new Pink Beds Boardwalk. Meet at the front desk at 1:30.
- Rock Climbing gear presentations and hands-on rappelling demonstrations in front of the Discovery Center with Pure Vida
- Get your picture taken with Smokey Bear behind the Discovery Center! He will make an appearance at 1:00 and 3:00
-Check out the camping display behind the Discovery Center for tips on Leave No Trace.
- Muddy Sneakers naturalists will be teaching participants how to use a map and compass, as well as about the insect life found in ponds at the King House
- Face painting and outdoors inspired crafts behind the Forest Discovery Center
- Headwaters Outfitters will be teaching how to be safe and have fun with canoes and kayaks at the pond
- Basic bike maintenance, how to be prepared on the trail, and learn how to change a flat tire with the staff from Sycamore Cycles
!!!DOOR PRIZES Provided By Coleman and Diamond Brand Outdoors!!!
Drawings at 12:00, 2:00, 4:00
Hobnob at the Cradle will have BBQ available for purchase in addition to their cafe’ menu.
National Get Outdoors Day is Sponsored By: